18/09/2011

Bursledon Windmillery!

Good Afternoon all,

On Sunday we spent an extremely pleasant afternoon at the Bread and Honey even at Bursledon Windmill.
That's me, under the windmill, scratching my head.  That picture is totally candid, not posed.  There was a quiz about honey bees and I guess it was a bit much for me!

It was absolutely fascinating to see the journey from wheat to flour-windmills are a lot more complicated than we had initially thought!  We talked a lot with the guys and really got to appreciate the work that goes into grinding flour 'the old fashioned way.'  We got talking about baking and making, and knowing where your food comes from.  I'm looking forward to heading back to the windmill in the future, and perhaps taking down some cake that I've made with their flour.  Perhaps at some point I'd like to get involved with volunteering sessions, too, but we'll see how that plays out.

Just as we were about to head off for a nice long walk along their nature trail, the heavens opened and there was a big ol' downpour.  Not to be disheartened, we pulled on wellies and rain macs and went walking anyway.  We got soaked but we were happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment